The 6 Best Power Wheelchair For Outdoor Use (Reviews & Buyer’s Guide)
Are you searching for the best power wheelchair for outdoor use? Here is my personally selected set of six options along with my reviews and pros and cons for you to choose from.
My wife met with an accident last year and lost her ability to walk. She loved the outdoors and missed it badly while being bedridden; I decided to get a wheelchair for her. It gets difficult for people with mobility issues to get around, and wheelchairs are the best solution.
When searching for a manual wheelchair for my wife, I came across the power wheelchair. While I had heard of them before, I never had any experience with them
But after reading about all the people raving about them, I decided to try one for my wife instead of a manual wheelchair. While finding the best power wheelchair for her, I came across many that surpassed my expectations.
I have had my wife try several different power wheelchairs for the last year. Based on her experience with the wheelchairs and several other factors, we have compiled a list of the six best power wheelchairs for outdoor use. Before looking at them, let us first understand what you need to look out for in a power wheelchair for outdoor use.
In this article I will cover:
How To Select The Best Power Wheelchair For Outdoor Use
You need to consider several factors when choosing the best power wheelchair for outdoor use.
The first thing you should look for in a power wheelchair is its performance. The performance of the wheelchair will depend on its motor power and battery capacity. Having higher motor power means that the wheelchair will operate smoothly.
While the wheelchair operates slowly, having a powerful motor helps travel up slopes. I prefer a wheelchair with a brushless DC motor as it offers more torque and speed without producing much noise.
Many factors determine the rider’s level of comfort while riding on the power wheelchair. Sitting on the wheelchair for too long during longer rides can get tiring if the seat on the wheelchair is not comfortable. Make sure the seat is contoured and soft to sit upon.
The ease of controlling the wheelchair also adds to the rider’s comfort. Get a power wheelchair with all the controls right at your fingertips. The turning radius of the wheelchair also should not be huge for a comfortable ride.
Battery charging time
No one likes to spend time charging the batteries of the power wheelchair frequently. Choose a power wheelchair with a lithium-ion battery as it doesn’t take much time to charge, and one charge will last long. Also, the life of a lithium-ion battery is far better than others.
The build quality of the power wheelchair will determine how long-lasting it will be. People with mobility issues can likely get overweight by doing less physical work.
You must get a power wheelchair with a superior build to take a load of a heavyweight person too. I prefer a wheelchair with corrosion-resistant material so that you can take it out even when the weather is bad.
Look for FDA clearance in a power wheelchair before buying one. No one wants to ride in an unsafe wheelchair. FDA clearance is an indicator of your ride being safe for use.
To get FDA clearance, the wheelchair has to go through several quality tests, and only upon passing all the tests can it get FDA clearance.
You should be able to ride your power wheelchair through different terrains with ease. Also, the weight of the power wheelchair should be low enough that you can carry it someplace easily when needed. Having a foldable design helps while carrying it around and storing it.
You might also like to read: Detailed Guide to Adaptive Fishing Equipment
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best lightweight power wheelchair for outdoor use?
The Porto mobility ranger discovery wheelchair and the Innuovo Intelligent Lightweight Foldable Electric chairs are two of the most lightweight power wheelchairs. They weigh only 50 pounds each.
Which is the best terrain wheelchair for You?
All of the power wheelchairs discussed in this article are suitable for traveling on different terrains. However, the Porto mobility ranger discovery wheelchair and the Alton Electric Wheelchair models are the two best wheelchairs that can easily glide through different terrains
How much does a power wheelchair weigh?
Apart from the regular wheelchair design, the power wheelchairs also contain other components like motors and batteries, and they can be pretty heavy depending upon their type. Power wheelchairs tend to weigh more than their manual counterparts.
The weight range of a power wheelchair can range anywhere between 50 pounds to 150 pounds. If you are looking for a compact power wheelchair that you can carry easily, stick to the wheelchair with low weight. But if you are looking for a power wheelchair for some heavyweight, it is better to get a heavyweight power wheelchair.
Are electric wheelchairs suitable for indoor and outdoor use?
Yes, electric wheelchairs are suitable for indoor and outdoor use. When it comes to indoor use, if the passageways in your house are big enough for a wheelchair to pass through them comfortably, you can ride the wheelchairs inside. When riding electric wheelchairs outdoors, as long as the wheelchair has all-terrain drive wheels, you can safely ride the wheelchair on any outdoor terrain.
The Best Power Wheelchair For Outdoor Use: 6 Best Options
#1 Porto Mobility Ranger Discovery Wheelchair
- Performance: 9.8/10
- Comfort: 10/10
- Battery charging time: 9.6/10
- Build: 9.7/10
- Safety: 9.9/10
- Other features: 9.5/10
- Weight of the product: 50 pounds
- Weight capacity: 400 pounds
- Material: Aluminum Alloy
- Motor: 250 watts Brushless DC electric
- Maximum speed: 5 MPH
- Battery charging time:- 5-6 hours
This Porto mobility wheelchair is among the best power outdoor wheelchair as it is super lightweight and heavy-duty. I could easily fold and store this wheelchair as it is compact and can fold up to 13 inches.
- This power wheelchair has a maximum load capacity of 400 pounds.
- It is made up of high-quality aircraft aluminum.
- Powerful brushless DC dual motors provide extra torque.
- This power wheelchair is easy to maneuver as it has a small turning radius.
- The drive wheels on this wheelchair are suitable for climbing up and down.
- The batteries on this wheelchair are likely to grow weak after a year.
- The customer support on this wheelchair might not be very supportive.
- Due to its high top speed, its best to get seat belts with this power wheelchair
Features in detail
- Performance: This power wheelchair operates on the power of two motors. Both these motors are brushless DC motors that are excellent in providing more torque and power. These DC motors have a wattage output of 250 watts. You can ride this power wheelchair at a maximum speed of 5 miles per hour.
- Comfort: You can sit on this chair for hours without feeling discomfort or fatigue. The person riding this wheelchair can control it with the 360 degrees wide range rotating joystick. The turning radius on this power wheelchair is just 32 inches.
- Battery charging time: This wheelchair has a lithium-ion battery inside it. A lithium-ion battery is known for its excellent charging capabilities. This wheelchair will take about 5-6 hours to charge fully.
- Build: I could take this wheelchair out in all types of weather as it has a weather-resistant coating. It is also made from high-quality aircraft aluminum alloy for rigidity.
- Safety: You will feel extremely safe while riding this wheelchair as it is certified and cleared by the FDA. The slide-in batteries in this wheelchair make it about 8 pounds lighter.
- Other features: The wheels on this wheelchair have position-tracking features. They will smoothly glide through the mud, gravel, grass, dirt, snow, and even sand. Due to these superior wheels, you can traverse through different terrains pretty easily. They also let you go through tight spaces very easily.
You might also like to read: Detailed Guide to Adaptive Hunting Equipment
#2 Innuovo Intelligent Lightweight Foldable Electric Wheelchairs
- Performance: 9.5/10
- Comfort: 9.6/10
- Battery charging time: 9.4/10
- Build: 9.3/10
- Safety: 9.2/10
- Other features: 9.4/10
- Weight of the product: 50 pounds
- Weight capacity: 265 pounds
- Material: Aluminum alloy
- Motor: 250 watts Brushless Electric Motors
- Maximum speed: 3.7 MPH
- Battery charging time:- 2-3 hours
This Innova wheelchair is powerful and intelligent. You can take this wheelchair outdoors as it has a compact design. This wheelchair has a smaller turning radius of 35.4 inches. The maximum speed at which you can ride this power wheelchair is 3.7 miles per hour.
- This powerful and lightweight wheelchair is ideal for your daily needs and requirements.
- It is very safe and even has FDA approval.
- It operates on two lithium-ion batteries for powerful and smoother operation.
- The person riding this wheelchair can accurately control and drive this wheelchair.
- Super compact size with a small turning radius.
- You may experience some battery problems if you don’t take proper care of it.
- If you feel sensitive to loud sounds or noise, you should not use this wheelchair.
Features in detail
- Performance: The front and rear wheels on this wheelchair are very stable. It also consists of 250W dual motors, and these motors are brushless DC motors that will give the wheelchair the power it needs. This wheelchair can run on all kinds of terrains.
- Comfort: This wheelchair has a thick cushioned seat for maximum comfort. I was able to quickly fold this power wheelchair and keep it in my car while traveling out.
- Battery charging time: This wheelchair has two lithium-ion batteries. The battery on this wheelchair requires two to three hours to charge after charging initially. It can travel quite far on a single charge.
- Build: This wheelchair is ideal for overweight and obese people as it has a maximum load capacity of 265 pounds, even though it weighs 50 pounds. The unique design of this power wheelchair is known for its excellent ability to manage and distribute weight. This wheelchair is built from high-grade aluminum alloy.
- Safety: This power wheelchair has FDA clearance and approval. I received excellent service from customer support.
- Other features: The thickness of the seat cushion on this wheelchair is 3 inches. I could control the wheelchair with a 360° degree joystick. You can even hold this wheelchair with just one hand. Its compact size lets you move it through tight spaces easily.
#3 Golden Technologies Scooter Powered-Wheelchair
- Performance: 8.9/10
- Comfort: 8.7/10
- Battery charging time: 8.8/10
- Build: 8.6/10
- Safety: 8.5/10
- Other features: 8.8/10
- Weight of the product: 116 pounds
- Weight capacity: 300 pounds
- Material: Sturdy alloy frame
- Motor: Powerful motor 250 watts.
- Maximum speed:- 3.5 mph
- Battery charging time:- 3-4 hours for big 22 amp batteries.
This robust wheelchair by Golden technologies can be your ideal companion for going outdoors. I could lift this wheelchair easily and place it at the back of my vehicle.
- The design of this wheelchair is convenient for traveling outdoors.
- It has two lithium-ion batteries for extended battery life.
- This wheelchair has dual brushless motors that ensure a smooth ride.
- The maximum load capacity on this wheelchair is high at 300 pounds.
- This wheelchair has FDA clearance.
- If the motor is not connected correctly, it will not be able to climb upwards.
- You need to be careful with the electrical components of this wheelchair.
Features in detail
- Performance: This power wheelchair is very fun to drive as it has the torque and power of two brushless motors. These 250 watt motors ensure that you can travel on this wheelchair at a variable speed and on all types of paths.
- Comfort: This wheelchair is very comfortable as it has a cushioned seat and is easy to assemble and disassemble. This wheelchair is also compact for storing and carrying. It can go through tight spaces easily.
- Battery charging time: It has two lithium-ion batteries on the wheelchair . The average charging time for both batteries varies between 3-4 hours, depending on the amount of charge left. Due to its dual battery, this wheelchair can travel a long distance on a single charge. This power wheelchair has bigger 22 amps side batteries.
- Build: This wheelchair is made from a sturdy and rigid alloy frame. This alloy frame distributes the individual’s weight on the chair evenly.
- Safety: You don’t need to fret about the safety and security concerns on this wheelchair, as it has FDA clearance.
- Other features: This wheelchair can be disjointed into three pieces, where the most significant piece only weighs 35 pounds. With the help of this feature carrying it outside is an easier task. The maximum speed of this power wheelchair is high in comparison to other wheelchairs at 3.5 miles per hour.
You might also like to read: The 5 Best Fishing Rod For Backpacking (Review & Buying Guide)
#4 Alton Dual Motors Electric Wheelchair
- Performance: 8.6/10
- Comfort: 8.4/10
- Battery charging time: 8.3/10
- Build: 8.5/10
- Safety: 8.3/10
- Other features: 8.2/10
- Weight of the product: 57 pounds
- Weight capacity: 160 pounds
- Material: Carbon steel and metal
- Motor: Dual motors 250 watts each
- Maximum speed: 3 miles per hour
- Battery charging time:- 3-5 hours
The airlines approve the Alton power wheelchair as a piece of safety equipment to travel with. It contains all the necessary safety features in it as a default. This power wheelchair can reach up to a top speed of more than 3 miles per hour.
- This wheelchair is lightweight and requires no maintenance.
- It has two powerful DC motors.
- The maximum load capacity of this wheelchair is 160 pounds.
- It is made from a great combination of carbon steel and aluminum alloy.
- This wheelchair has also gotten the airlines’ approval as a safe piece of equipment.
- Driving this wheelchair on an incline may not be that great.
- Heavy riders may face some difficulties as it is perfect for lightweight riders.
Features in detail
- Performance:- This wheelchair gets its power from two DC brushless motors that are 250 watts each.
- Comfort: This wheelchair takes utmost care for the person’s comfort riding it. This wheelchair has a minimum turning radius of fewer than 33 inches. You will also not need to maintain this wheelchair.
- Battery charging time: The Alton wheelchair has lithium-ion batteries. These batteries optimally connect to the motor, so the rider gets a smooth drive out of this wheelchair. The charging time for this power wheelchair ranges between 3-5 hours.
- Build: It uses a new technology that combines aircraft alloy grade carbon and steel. Due to this unique combination, this wheelchair is pretty lightweight at 30 pounds, excluding the batteries.
- Safety: This power wheelchair has the clearance by FDA for having all the safety essentials and features.
- Other features: The wheels and the unique design of this wheelchair will not fail you on different outdoor terrain such as muddy trails, snow, sand, gravel, dirt, etc.
#5 New GO CHAIR Pride Mobility Travel Electric Powerchair
- Performance: 8.0/10
- Comfort: 7.8/10
- Battery charging time: 7.7/10
- Build: 7.9/10
- Safety: 7.6/10
- Other features: 7.7/10
- Weight of the product: 144.7 pounds
- Weight capacity: 300 pounds
- Material: Steel Alloy
- Motor: Dual motors 250 watts each.
- Maximum speed: Adjustable Speed up to maximum range of 3.8 mph
- Battery charging time:- 3-5 hours.
I felt great agility in this power wheelchair while riding. This is because it has a larger wheelbase that helps the wheelchair distribute the weight and gives it a wider stance. The turning radius on this wheelchair is just 25.4 inches.
- This power wheelchair is ideal for overweight and obese individuals.
- It has a sleek, bold, and enhanced design for a great look. It is compact with a small turning radius of 25.4 inches.
- This wheelchair runs on dual motors and also has adjustable speed.
- This wheelchair has larger 18 amp batteries.
- You will have to take care of the wheelchair and its components when it arrives.
- After a year, the battery performance will start to drop off.
Features in detail
- Performance: The dual motors on this wheelchair will ensure that it can lift and operate smoothly on a heavy load. The wattage of the dual motors are 250 watts each.
- Comfort: This wheelchair also comes with under-seat storage bins. The wheelchair has special seats so that the person sitting in this wheelchair feels comfortable.
- Battery charging time: It operates in two lithium-ion batteries. These batteries will need about 4-5 hours of charging time.
- Build: This wheelchair is made from a steel alloy compound. This steel alloy compound will keep this wheelchair lightweight and compact.
- Safety: This wheelchair has FDA clearance. It is classified as a class 2 medical device. Such devices are designed to help and aid individuals that have mobility impairments.
- Other features: This wheelchair will make traveling look easy as it has a high maximum load capacity of 300 pounds. The maximum speed of this power wheelchair is 3.8 miles per hour.
You might also like to read: The 5 Best Rod Holders For Pontoon Boat (Review & Buying Guide)
#6 Bangeran Electric Wheelchair Folding Lightweight
- Performance: 7.5/10
- Comfort: 7.3/10
- Battery charging time: 7.4/10
- Build: 7.5/10
- Safety: 7.2/10
- Other features: 7.3/10
- Weight of the product: 64 pounds
- Weight capacity: 365 pounds
- Material: Alloy
- Motor: Brushless DC electric motor 250 watts.
- Maximum speed: 4 mph
- Battery Charging Time: 6-8 Hours
This power wheelchair comes with a new anti-leaning rear design. You will find this wheelchair has a sharp turning radius. Due to the unique design of this wheelchair, it is highly stable. This power wheelchair can run at a top speed of 4 miles per hour.
- This wheelchair is suitable for traveling on all kinds of uneven terrain.
- I could control this wheelchair with a joystick with ease.
- This wheelchair has a very sharp turning radius, due to which you can maneuver with ease.
- This wheelchair is safe and approved by the FDA. You can travel with this wheelchair on airlines.
- This wheelchair has two powerful brushless DC motors.
- Some people might not be very good or comfortable with the comprehensive design of the wheelchair.
- Some people might also find this chair to be a bit heavy.
Features in detail
- Performance: The motor on this wheelchair is a brushless DC motor. There are two motors of 250 watts on this wheelchair.
- Comfort: With the sharp turning radius of this wheelchair, you will be able to maneuver very easily through different terrains.
- Build: It is made from a rigid aluminum alloy. This wheelchair is easily foldable. This 12AH lithium battery will need about 6-8 hours to recharge. It can travel a fair distance on a single charge
- Safety: The Bangeran power wheelchair comes with FDA approval. You can even travel on different airlines with this wheelchair.
- Other features: This wheelchair smoothly operates as it is designed with a 360° degree waterproof joystick. I was able to control this wheelchair-using this joystick.
A Few Final Words
Selecting a power wheelchair requires you to consider several factors to ensure that you make the right choice. While looking for a power wheelchair for my wife, I have gone through multiple power wheelchairs before making the right decision. Depending on several factors, I have shortlisted the six best power wheelchairs for outdoor use.
If I have to summarize, my top favorite power wheelchair would be Porto Mobility Ranger Discovery Wheelchair. The performance of this wheelchair is unmatched with the brushless DC motor. Also, the wheelchair is light in weight, making it easy to carry around.
My second favorite power wheelchair would be Innuovo Intelligent Lightweight Foldable Electric Wheelchairs. This wheelchair is also a lightweight wheelchair weighing just 50 pounds. With a load capacity of 265 pounds, this wheelchair is ideal even for overweight people.
If you are tight on the budget but still want the best for your loved one, this Bangeran Electric Wheelchair Folding Lightweight Wheelchair is the best choice. There is no compromise on the quality of the wheelchair, even when the price of the wheelchair is a lot less than others.