You need the best blankets for winter camping that keeps you warm and well-protected from the chilling wind. Check the eight best blankets here and our top 3 in the table below.
Camping has been one of the few solaces for you and I during the pandemic. After staying indoors for many months, people have started stepping out and enjoying nature in many ways, and camping is the perfect way to enjoy your surroundings.
When you think of winter camping, the first thought that crosses your mind is what all to carry. Out of all the essentials, the most important one is the blanket.
It is essential to know the difference between winter camping blankets and regular ones that you use at home. After researching over twenty-five options for nearly a week, we have shortlisted the eight best blankets for winter camping based on their material, design, size, maintenance, and other features.
In this review, you will learn.
- How to choose a winter camping blanket.
- Answers to common questions about winter camping and the types of blankets that you need to keep warm in frigid conditions
- The eight best blankets for winter camping
How To Choose Your Winter Camping Blankets
The most common material of blankets we come across for camping blankets in winter are wool and fleece. But if you are looking for insulation, then wool is better than fleece in this context.
And also, wool is more water-resistant than fleece, so make a choice based on your need, but when it gets wet, wool will take more time for drying.
But on the other hand, fleece is less in weight when compared with wool. But both these materials have equal breathability, so if this is your concern, you can opt for any filling.
Any blanket which has strong hemming on the corners will help keep the filling intact to provide the promised warmth for the user. Also, some blankets come with double layering but still have a simple and slim design which will cater to carry them easily while you go camping.
The size is an essential factor that will help understand the suitability of the blanket for the people.
For example, if you are looking for the coverage of three adults, then a blanket of 79″ x 58″ will perfectly fit them. So make your choice accordingly based on the number of people who will use the same blanket.
Most campers prefer blankets that can be washed either by hand or machine as they may have to clean them outdoors. So pick a blanket that is easily washable and has quick-drying properties, which will help carry them anywhere and in any weather conditions.
Answers To Common Queries About Winter Camping Blankets
Are fleece blankets good for camping?
A. Fleece blankets are versatile and lightweight, making them the perfect option for camping. These blankets also can block the wind and water, which is an additional benefit on the hills. Fleece blankets do not absorb water more than 1% of the blanket’s weight, making them suitable when it rains suddenly.
Some of these blankets are known to be fire-resistant, so suitable even during bonfires while camping. But all these qualities are guaranteed to be based on the quality of the fleece blanket you are carrying while you go camping.
What kind of blanket is best for winter?
A. When we talk about blankets for winter, the first ones that come to our mind are those made of wool. This material keeps the blanket dry as they wick the moisture away quickly. Blankets made of wool are breathable and will easily adapt to changes in temperature.
Woolen blankets do not only retain heat but are also soft to touch. Opt for a blanket with dark colors as it makes it easy to maintain these as stains are not easily visible.
What is the warmest blanket for winter?
A. The Arcturus wool blanket is our topmost suggestion for the warmest blanket for winter. It is made of wool and has been hemmed on all sides to keep the filling in place to give the warmth you require when you use the blankets.
Also, the blankets have a long life as they are less prone to shedding because they are triple washed during production to prevent any shedding in the future while you use them.
Are down blankets good for camping?
A. Down blankets are those which have stuffing of down feathers. These feathers help in holding the heat efficiently, keeping you warm at night. Down blankets have high compressibility making them best for camping. Blankets are also lightweight, and the feathers inside will resist clumping, thus ensuring consistent coverage when you use them.
The blankets are breathable, so perspiration quickly evaporates, keeping the blanket dry at night. But the only problem with using down blankets is it will not keep you warm when the blanket gets wet, so if you are going to a hilly area where there is the possibility of showers, avoid them while you go camping.
Reviews of The 8 Best Blankets For Winter Camping
#1 Arcturus Wool Blanket
- Material: Score 9.1/10
- Design: Score 8.9/10
- Size: Score 9.6/10
- Maintenance: Score 9.5/10
- Color: Military Gray
- Size: 88×64 LxW inches
- Material: Wool
- Weight: 4.5 lbs
Not only are they washable, but they get softer and softer with each wash, and to avoid more shedding, the blankets are washed thrice during production, making them the top option for Best Blankets For Winter Camping.
- No additional flame retardant chemicals are used, so blankets are safe to use.
- Offers high comfort levels.
- The blanket gives warmth to handle cold weather.
- For durability, line drying is recommended, which is not possible for everyone.
- Material: The blankets come with a wool filling which will work best to keep you warm even when the blanket gets wet. Along with wool, the blanket has a filling of hypoallergenic synthetic fibers of 20%, which will extend the washability and durability of the blanket. The woolen fibers are short, so the synthetic fiber will help secure the weave and minimize the shedding, which will add extra life to the blanket.
- Design: To give a unique look to the blanket, the blanket is hemmed on all the sides using a contrast lock stitching making it look apt wherever you use the blanket.
- Size: The blanket comes in 64×88 inches size, making it the right size for you when you go camping. They do not even appear cumbersome and bulky when you use this blanket.
- Maintenance: The loom inside the blanket is woven, which will help in ensuring thickness and even texture. At the edges, there is lock-stitching which will keep the loom firm even after washing the blanket in a machine. This makes it easy to care for these blankets. The softness of the blanket will increase after every wash.
#2 Down Under Fleece Blanket
- Material: Score 8.8/10
- Design: Score 8.9/10
- Size: Score 9.6/10
- Maintenance: Score 9.5/10
- Color: Red/Gray
- Size: 82×55 LxW inches
- Material: Fleece
- Weight: 2.9 lbs
The blanket is sliding proof with quilting on both sides. The blanket comes with an oversized stuff sack for storage.
- It is waterproof and wind-resistant.
- Extra large size is perfect for two people.
- The blanket has leaks proof quilting on both sides.
- Comparatively, it is thinner than other blankets.
- Material: The blanket is made of fleece that keeps you warm. It has a width of 300gsm. It also has a water and wind-resistant polyester backing coated with polyurethane that will maintain the body’s temperature.
- Design: The blanket has leaks proof quilting on both sides. It prevents sliding when you step on it. It maximizes safety and does not compromise on warmness also.
- Size: The size is extra large and can fit a person or two properly. It is 82 inches long and 55 inches wide which can be spread in the garden, sofa, beeches, etc.
- Maintenance: The blanket can be washed in the machine with cold water. It can be tumble dry also using low heat temperature. It also has a moisture barrier for unwanted spills, which will increase its shelf life.
You might also like to read : 12 Tips On How To Insulate A Tent For Winter Camping
#3 Oceas Large Waterproof Outdoor Blanket
- Material: Score 9.1/10
- Design: Score 9.4/10
- Size: Score 9.2/10
- Maintenance: Score 9/10
- Color: Blue
- Size: 79×58 LxW inches
- Material: Fleece
- Weight: 2.3 lbs
The blanket is waterproof and wind-resistant. It has fleece material which gives warmth to the user.
- The blanket has polyurethane foam which makes it suitable for all weather.
- The blanket is large enough to accommodate three people.
- It is very light in weight and is very easy to pack while traveling.
- Quality can be improved.
- Material: The blanket is waterproof and is made up of fleece material. It gives warmth and comfort to the user. The blacked has a double polyester coating backed with polyurethane, suitable for all kinds of weather.
- Design: The blanket is very light in weight and is very easy to pack while traveling. It is easy to fold and store. It comes with a portable bag which can be carried everywhere.
- Size: The blanket is 79 inches long and 58 inches wide. It is perfect for adults. In fact, it can accommodate up to three adults.
- Maintenance: The blanket is easy to wash in the machine with cold water. With good water seeping feature, it remains dry and fresh for a long time.
#4 Get Out Gear Down Camping Blanket
- Other features:8.5/10
- Color: Black, Gray/Burgundy,Orange/Gray,Olive/Orange,Blue/Red,Teal Blue/Gray
- Size: 80″x 54″, 77″x50″
- Material: 20D ripstop nylon shell, 650 Fill Power down insulation
- Weight: 1.1 Pounds
- The blanket is lightweight at 1.1 pounds.
- The blanket is wearable.
- The material of the blanket is spill and water-resistant.
- The blanket is thin.
- The blanket needs to be wider for tall people.
If you need a lightweight, packable, and warm blanket, then this blanket is for you.
- Material: The blanket’s material is a 20D ripstop nylon shell with DWR (durable water repellent) coating with a 650 fill Power down insulation. The nylon shell with water repellent coating helps to block out the wind, cold, and dew while the insulation keeps you cozy and warm inside while being outdoors.
- Design: The blanket is handy and comes with a stuff sack to conveniently carry it.
- Size: The blanket’s dimensions when being packed in the stuff sack are 5 inches in diameter x 12 inches long. The dimensions while being open are 80″x54″, 77″x50″.
- Maintenance: The blanket is washable and washes well on a gentle cycle in cold water and tumble dry on low heat or line dry. Wash the blanket only in the top-load machine without a center agitator or in the front load machine. The blanket can be hand washed as well. Avoid bleach and fabric softeners, and do not iron or dry clean the blanket.
- Other features: The blanket is wearable and converts into a poncho. This keeps your hands free from reading your favorite book or cozying up around the campfire.
You might also like to read : Best Camping Pillows: Top 8 Picks
#5 EverOne Olive Drab 80% Wool Fire Retardant Blanket
- Other features:8.0/10
- Color: Olive Green
- Size: 66″ X 90″
- Material: Wool
- Weight: 3.45 Pounds
- The blanket traps body heat, ensuring to keep you warm even in extremely cold conditions.
- The blanket size is large, and this helps in sharing the blanket with another person.
- The blanket being fire retardant can be used in emergency kits during camping or while being indoors at home.
- Since the fabric is wool, the blanket fabric leads to pilling.
If you need a large and warm wool blanket, then this one’s for you.
- Material: The material is 80% wool which helps keep you warm outdoors in extreme winter conditions. The blanket is made of wool, is an excellent fire retardant, and can be used indoors in the emergency kit, near the fireplace, or outdoors during a campfire.
- Design: The blanket is designed to trap body heat under extreme conditions. A similarly styled blanket is issued in the military. The design is highly durable.
- Size: The size of the blanket is 66″ X 90″. The oversized design can accommodate two people or a tall person easily. It also easily folds up to a small size for easy storage.
- Maintenance: The blanket is easy maintenance as it can be washed in the cold wash in the washing machine with air drying. Do not tumble dry it. It can be hand cleaned as well.
- Other features: The blanket is made of fire retardant material and can be added to a home or a car emergency kit.
#6 KingCamp Multipurpose Packable Blanket
- Material: 8.2/10
- Design: 8.5/10
- Size: 8.5/10
- Maintenance: 8.4/10
- Other features: 8/10
- Color: Blue, Black, Gray, Red, Army Green
- Size: 69″ x 54″
- Material: 20D Nylon fabric, 250g LingCamp Loft filler, and 620 Fill Power
- Weight: 0.97lbs
- The blanket is lightweight, making it easy to carry for outdoor activities like camping, hiking, or flights.
- multipurpose use as it can be used as a blanket, sleeping bag, and pillow
- The blanket can also be buttoned up as a poncho.
- The blanket is lightweight as it weighs only 0.97lbs and is compact to carry
- The water-resistant fabric of the blanket dries off quickly and shakes the water off.
- The blanket is made from hypoallergenic material.
- The blanket has weak zippers.
If you are looking for a blanket that lasts long and needs less maintenance, then this one’s for you.
- Material: The material of the blanket is a 20D Nylon fabric filled with 250G ClusterLoft. The blanket is filled with a hypoallergenic clusterLoft down alternative, which is a fiberfill. The material of the blanket makes it best suited for those with allergies.
- Design: The blanket is designed to have multipurpose use. It can be converted to a sleeping bag outdoors and can be buttoned up into a poncho to keep your hands free. It comes with a carry bag with a concealed zipper and can be used as a pillow or lumbar support.
- Size: The normal size of the blanket is approximately 69″ x 54″, which can comfortably accommodate two adults, and the size after being fully compressed is 11.02”x7.87”x3.93″. The blanket is lightweight and compact can be taken anywhere.
- Maintenance: The lightweight camping blanket is machine washable so that it can be easily washed in the washing machine with a push of the start button.
- Other features: The Ripstop 20D nylon fabric makes the blanket water-resistant. The blanket dries quickly and does not soak water into the fabric, and water can be easily shaken off.
You might also like to read : Most Efficient Camping Stoves (Buying Guide & Reviews)
#7 Brawntide Large Outdoor Waterproof Blanket
- Other features:8.0/10
- Color: Wine, Black, Gray, Royal Blue, Navy Blue
- Size: 82 x 55 inches
- Material: Ripstop Polyester With Polyurethane Coating and Polar Fleece
- Weight:3 pounds
- Large enough to wrap two people
- Windproof, Waterproof and Sandproof
- At 300 gsm, it is the thickest fleece-lined blanket in its category.
- Ultra-light and easy to carry, it comes with a stuff sack and shoulder strap making it easy to travel.
- The blanket comes with Ultrasonic quilting.
- The blanket is not entirely waterproof.
- The fleece of the blanket is thin.
An easy to carry warm fleece that can be taken anywhere by you
- Material: The material of the blanket comprises Polar Fleece and Ripstop Polyester with Polyurethane coating. The blankets come with 300gsm anti-pill polar fleece backing, which offers wind protection, gives greater warmth and softness. This keeps you warm and cozy on cold, windy days. The waterproof backing on the blankets is made from durable polyester fabric with a polyurethane coating.
- Design: The blanket’s material is designed to keep the blanket windproof, waterproof, and sand proof. The blanket is light and comes with a stylish stuff sack with a shoulder strap and zipped pocket, making it very easy and convenient to carry along with you.
- Size: The size of the blanket is 82 x 55 inches. The blanket is large enough to wrap two people around quickly or provide a camping blanket, beach blanket, or family-sized picnic blanket.
- Maintenance: The blanket comes with easy maintenance and is easily machine washable. The recommended washing instructions for the blanket are to wash on a delicate cycle with cold water and then hang out dry on a line. The easy maintenance gives an assurance of removing any type of spillages or dirty marks from your blanket.
- Other features: One of the key features of the blanket is that it comes with Ultrasonic quilting, which is quilting without needle and thread. This quilting prevents the two layers of the blanket from sliding on top of each other and further prevents the blanket from slipping underneath your feet, ensuring safety while walking over the blanket. Hence, the waterproof layer of the blanket remains intact and completely waterproof.
#8 PUFFER WOLF Extra Large Double Insulated Blanket
- Other features:8.0
- Color: Vivid Cyan, Black, and Orange
- Size: 80” x 54”
- Material: Ultralite PW-700 insulation
- Weight: 1.3 Pounds
- The blanket is light with warm insulation.
- Lightweight and conveniently packable
- Durable in all weather conditions
- The blanket has extra puff for more warmth.
- The blanket gets challenging to put in the bag.
If you need a warm, lightweight, puffer blanket, then this blanket is for you.
- Material: The blanket comes with PW 700 insulation fibers which puff the blanket high and trap in more air. The extra puff in the blanket keeps you warm, and the DWR durable, water-resistant ripstop nylon keeps you dry.
- Design: The PW 700 insulation fibers are designed to form an ultra-sturdy, unique wavelength pattern. This ultralight insulation is high and traps the air well, giving you a warm blanket that is lightweight and packable.
- Size: The size of the blankets are extra-large, measuring at 80″ x 54″ and measure (~5″ x 5″ x 12″) when packed down small in the included stuff sack, making them easy to carry outdoors.
- Maintenance: The blanket is entirely machine washable on a cool, gentle cycle, and for drying, it can be done on a cool, gentle dry cycle or hang drying. Do not tumble dry.
- Other features: The blankets are over-stuffed with a little over 14oz of PW700 puffy insulation. This creates a loft nearly two times more than similar blankets.
My Top 3 Winter Camping Blankets
During winter campings, a properly insulated blanket can be a real-life savior. Hence, when next time you plan a camping trip, don’t forget to pack a warm blanket that will keep you protected and make your trip worth remembering.
Let’s highlight three options as a final summary of the review:
The best option is the Arcturus Wool Blanket. This is because not only are they washable, but they get softer and softer with each wash, and to avoid more shedding, the blankets are washed thrice during production.
The Down Under Fleece Blanket is another great choice. The blanket is made of fleece that keeps you warm. It has a width of 300gsm. It also has water and wind-resistant polyester.
If you are looking for a value for money option, you can also consider the EverOne Olive Drab 80% Wool Fire Retardant Blanket, which is made of wool, is an excellent fire retardant, and can be used indoors in the emergency kit, near the fireplace, or outdoors during a campfire and comes at a very reasonable rate