A tent with a porch is the perfect choice for campers who need that little bit of extra space when they go on weekend long car camping journeys.
They keep out bugs, can be used to store your gear and keep it dry, and also to give you that little bit more space to eat, drink, cook, and socialize.
Not to mention the extra protection they give you when it inevitably rains at some point over the trip.
This article is going to tell you all about five of the best tents with porches that you can get, as well as providing you with a handy Buyers’ Guide so you know exactly what features to look out for in your tent.
So if you are on the lookout for a new tent with a porch to make those camping trips even more relaxing, look no further because this is the article for you.
In a rush to get the best tent with a porch for your upcoming camping trip?
The Coleman Dome Tent with Screened-In Porch is the perfect choice. Here’s why we picked this:
- You can get it to fit either 6 or 8 people, with both options giving you plenty of space for loved ones as well as camping gear and equipment
- Set up is quick and easy for this tent. You’ll be relaxing on the porch with a beer in no time!
- It is weatherproof thanks to the WeatherTec system that keeps out rainwater and allows it to withstand strong winds
- The porch can be screened off and used as a separate sleeping space if needed on warmer nights, a food preparation area, or used as storage space.
Our Top 5 Best Tents with Porch Reviews
Coleman Dome Tent with Screened-In Porch
Where to Buy: amazon.com
First on our list, we have the amazing Dome Tent from Coleman. This one has a screened-in porch for extra protection. It is perfect for car camping due to the fact that it can be set up in just 15 minutes.
It can sleep 8 people (or 6 people if you want to get the smaller version), giving you a really spacious tent with room for airbeds and sleeping bags galore.
It can even fit in two queen sized air beds! It is made with a WeatherTec system so that the rain will be kept off you and your gear, keeping you protected from all the elements.
The tent has extended awnings above the windows so you can open them even in the pouring rain.
Ventilation is important in tents, so along with the opening windows, there is also a screened in porch area to ensure this, as well as providing you with extra space to store gear, or even to sleep in on warm nights.
There is a removable rainfly for protection from the rain. When it’s clear and dry you can remove the rainfly and stargaze through the mesh roof.
- Super quick and easy to set up
- Very roomy with enough space to sleep 8 people
- The porch is screened in making it perfect for extra storage space, sleeping in if needed, shelter when socializing outside the tent, and food prepping.
- There are bug repellent mesh closings on the porch so you can relax without bugs disrupting you
- The tent has storage pockets to minimize how much of your gear needs to be out in the tent
- It has protected seams and a wind strong frame to make it durable against the elements
- It is not a four season tent so it may be too cold to use in the winter. That being said, it was made to keep you dry and it does this well.
Wenzel 8 Person Klondike Tent
Where to Buy: amazon.com
This spacious tent with a porch by Wenzel is a great choice for campers looking for a family sized base for their trips. The main area sleeps 5 people and the screened porch can fit 3 people in to sleep!
The screened-in porch room acts as a sun shelter, extra space for equipment, a socializing area, a food preparation area, and so much more.
The tent has mesh on the roof and on the windows which will keep those pesky little bugs out. There is also a rear mesh vent to create a breeze, keeping the tent ventilated.
The tent is water-resistant thanks to the polyurethane Weather armor coating. The zippers, threads, and webbing are made using a water-resistant coating to ensure you are kept safe and dry.
The tent is also super durable and sturdy thanks to the fiberglass poles used in the frame. It all comes complete in a storage duffel for safekeeping and transportation.
- Set up is easy and relatively fast at about 15 – 25 minutes depending on how many people are helping to assemble it
- It comes with lots of instructions, not just about assembly but also how to fold it properly for the most convenient storage, as well as how to keep moisture out
- It allows for excellent separation of living space from storage space due to its generously sized porch that can be screen in
- Perfect for car camping due to its size
- It is easy to disassemble and put away neatly in the duffel bag after use
- It is too heavy for use as a hiking tent. It is not easy to transport around with you.
Coleman Dome Tent for Camping
Where to Buy: amazon.com
This tent has four person occupancy, so it is not as roomy as the first two choices we have picked out. That being said, some people only need a small amount of space, and for them, this 4 person tent will be perfect.
The separate porch/ screen room is a great addition for some storage space, a sitting space that brings you closer outdoors if you don’t want to commit to sitting outside completely, and even as a sleeping space on warmer nights due to it having a covered floor.
It also has mesh on the screen to keep out bugs. It has dark room technology to keep out up to 90% of the sunlight, ensuring you get the right amount of sleep rather than waking up at the crack of dawn.
Another feature to keep you comfortable is the fact that it works to reduce heat inside the tent. We all know how hot tents can get, even with just a little bit of sun, so this is a welcome addition!
The strong tent frames are so durable that they can withstand up to 35 MPH winds, as well as being waterproof.
- Set up takes just 10 minutes
- It has an E-Port so you can bring your electric hook-up into your tent
- The dark room technology is a hit with all customers as it helps them get a better night sleep compared to a typical tent that gets you up with the sun
- Even though it’s a four person tent, it is very roomy and big enough for a queen size air bed
- It is super sturdy and can withstand severe weather conditions
- The porch screen is not waterproof, nor does it have a rainfly. This makes it wet in the rainy weather unless you cover it yourself with a tarpaulin or something similar
Weanas Professional Backpacking Tent
Where to Buy: amazon.com
As the same suggests, this tent is a little smaller than most on the list, but it does give you the choice of choosing whether a tent that sleeps 1-2 people or 2-3 people.
It is made for backpackers and so is much more lightweight than some of the bigger tents on the list.
It is designed for use in three seasons (it is less appropriate for the cold winter months as it does not keep heat in all that well).
The porch is not screened off unlike the others on the list so far, so will not be suitable for sleeping in but in terms of giving you more sheltered space for socializing, this tent is great!
You can enjoy the outdoors under the cover of the porch, or use it for cooking using a safe cooking method. You can also use it to keep shoes and other gear under.
The waterproofing of this tent is excellent and it can withstand up to 4000mm of water. It is also SPF protected too as it has UV protection with a special coating.
It can be assembled quickly by just one person in less than ten minutes.
- It is super lightweight but still sturdy thanks to the aluminum poles for the frame
- It is perfect for backpackers, hikers, or those who need a compact tent if they are taking a motorcycle trip.
- Because it is perfect for hiking it is made with high quality waterproof material
- The set up takes just 10 minutes for one person
- It does not come with poles for the porch to be held up so you have to use your own hiking poles or similar.
KAZOO Outdoor Camping Tent
Where to Buy: amazon.com
This sturdy Outdoor Camping Tent by KAZOO is a great choice for campers looking for a convenient, easy to use, and protective tent for their family.
It is super spacious and features a porch in the form of an awning that is propped up at the entrance of the tent providing cover and protection from the elements.
The awning can also be closed down, providing a screen for privacy at bedtime.
This extra porch room can be used for storage, or for sitting in when it is propped up, using it as a sunshade or rain cover whilst having a cup of coffee in your camping chairs.
It is a four person tent so you can get your whole family involved in the camping trip.
Assembly couldn’t be easier, and the company boasts of having a setup time that is less than 5 minutes when two people are doing it.
The poles are made from sturdy fiberglass, and the tent material is also very durable, water-resistant, and breathable for your comfort.
- It comes with a full coverage rainfly to ensure you stay safe, warm and dry
- It boasts good airflow throughout the tent
- It can be packed up into a small package for easy storage
- There is a mesh door between the porch and the main area to keep out the bugs
- The quality of the waterproof material is not as good as others on this list, especially if you are unlucky enough to experience very heavy rain
Best Tents with Porch Buying Guide
When it comes to buying a tent, several factors should be considered before making the purchase.
This will ensure you have the perfect tent for your needs.
So whether you want a tiny one person tent, or a bigger tent with a porch like the ones on our list, you need to consider the following factors.
The first thing you should consider is how many people are going to be using a tent. Think carefully about the number of people that you will need to fit in there.
We think it is always best to overestimate, just in case you wanted to invite anyone else along. As well as this you should be factoring in space for your belongings and equipment.
Tent sizes are usually determined by how many people they can hold to sleep.
Usually tent size is determined by whether it is suitable for one man, two men, three men, and so on. The bigger the number, e.g. 8 man tent, the bigger the tent!
Number of Rooms
Related to the section above, you should also consider the number of rooms you may want in your tent.
Consider whether every person will need their own room, whether you will want a separate ‘lounge’ area or a room for cooking.
You may want a number of separate private spaces or something more open with more space.
Another factor that is important to consider is how simple the tent is to set up.
There is nothing worse than arriving at your campsite after a long day in the pouring rain only to be met with a tent that seems impossible to put up.
Think about how easy it will be to set up, especially if you are a newbie to camping. Setting up a tent doesn’t have to be all doom and gloom.
In fact, it is increasingly common to find tents that pop up or can be assembled with far more ease.
There’s nothing worse than a tent with a roof that dips at the first sign of rain. It should be of utmost importance that you choose a tent that is made with strong and sturdy material.
After all, this has got to protect you, your loved ones, and your friends through the night. You don’t want something that is going to collapse in on itself with the first sign of inclement weather, do you?
Look for materials that are waterproof, sturdy, and can withstand the elements. When considering how waterproof a material is, look out for a measurement in millimeters (mm).
You will typically see something along the lines of this: 3000mm waterproof. This tells you how many millimeters of water the material can withstand before it soaks through.
The higher the better when it comes to your tent.
Another important factor to take into consideration is the portability of the tent. The beauty of a tent is that you can take it to pitch up wherever you like. The only limit is your imagination… and perhaps how easy it is to lug about!
It needs to be able to fit well into your vehicle of choice, as well as be able to be carried with ease if you will be walking or hiking.
Look for tents that can be packed away neatly into a storage bag. It would be very helpful to find a bag with straps that you can hold on to.
Depending on how big of a tent you want, your tent may be light or heavy. It goes without saying that the bigger the tent, the heavier the storage bag is likely to be.
That being said, you can certainly buy lightweight tents these days, no matter the size you need. Consider this, especially if you envision using your tent whilst out hiking.
Even if you will simply be putting the tent in the car, driving to your destination, and unpacking next to your car, it would make your life a whole lot easier if it was easy to transport!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you cook in a tent porch?
There are many things you should take into consideration first. Not all types of cooking will be safe in a tent porch.
There is a risk of setting your tent porch on fire and even getting carbon monoxide poisoning. The best method of cooking in a tent porch is by using a flameless stove.
Gas stoves should only be used in areas that are really well ventilated.
A tent porch may be OK for using a gas stove but it is still not advised. You will be far safer if you use the tent porch for cooking with a flameless radiant burner stove.
Can you sleep in a tent when it’s raining?
Yes, you can definitely sleep in a tent when it’s raining. We think it’s all a part of the camping experience.
Ensure your tent is made from a good quality waterproof material, and you won’t even realize it has rained – except for the noise of it on your tent roof!
As you can see, there are plenty of choices when it comes to choosing a tent with a porch for all of your camping needs.
Whether you need a 2 person tent or 8 person tent, there is sure to be something on our list for you!
Remember to refer to our handy Buyers’ Guide and FAQs section if you need any more buying advice.